This is an introductory bike ride for participants and is a good choice for those new to cycling in groups. There are a few minor hills on this route, but we will always stop after each hill to re-group and take a drink of water. The pace will be dictated by the slowest rider; nobody will be left behind.
We will meet in the car park at the Kenny’s Pharmacy in Elm Park (beside the Holy Cross School), cycle towards Newtown Hill in a group, taking the road to Islandtarsey towards Kilfarrasy, turning onwards to Fenor where we will stop for a cup of coffee. After coffee we will take the straighter route home via the R675/Coast Road back to the car park in Elm Park. Cycle time will be about 1 hour.
- Following introductions, we will have a safety check on all bikes and a discussion with participants about cycling experience, bike skills, confidence cycling in groups, etc. We will discuss the route and address any concerns or questions.
- Turning left when leaving the car park we will cycle in single file, stopping at the traffic lights if red, and/or turning left as guided by the Leader when lights are green.
- Continuing to cycle in single file past the golf club, we will stop at the roundabout. When guided by the leader, we will leave the roundabout at the second exit onto Newtown Hill.
- After 50m, and as guided by the Leader, we will stop and take a right turn onto Newtown Park, continuing for about 300m, and stopping as guided by the Leader at the cross at Newtown Cove Caravan Park.
- When guided by the Leader, we will turn right towards Islandtarsey. Here we have a straight cycle for about 5km; there are a few up and down hills, but we will wait for each other as needed.
- At the junction with the Kilfarrasy Road we will stop and turn right when guided by the leader. We will continue for about 2km, stopping at the junction with the R675 (Coast Road) and taking a left turn towards Fenor, as guided.
- After about 600m we will arrive at Fenor, stopping and turning right into the cafe car park as instructed. Here we will have a well deserved tea or coffee and the opportunity to chat about the ride so far or whatever takes our fancy. This break will last for about 20 mins.
- We will leave the cafe, taking the left as instructed, cycling towards Tramore in single file.
- We will continue towards Tramore on the R675/Coast Road for about 5km. This road is wide in places so we will take the opportunity to cycle two abreast if possible and if traffic allows. There is a hill at Coolnacapogue which might be a challenge for some but we will pull in at O’Shea’s garage on the left just after the hill to re-group and get our breath back.
- We will cycle to the roundabout at Newtown Hill, stopping and taking the first exit onto the Ring Road, as instructed by the Leader.
- After about 800, we will come to the traffic lights and as guided ,turn right and then right again into the car park. Our bike ride is finished. Well done.
Please click here to familarise yourself with the Safety Guidance in place for group rides during Covid-19.
Note that insurance cover is only extended for the duration of the individual bike ride you have registered to complete.
Spare inner tube